WELCOME! I’M CATHERINE ORER
Business + PR Strategist, and Fairy Godmother to artists and creatives entrepreneurs.
My goal is to help you develop a plan and STICK TO IT so you can thrive and have that art career you always knew you were meant to have.
I want to work with you and help you develop those habits that will make you as business savvy as you are creative.
My award-winning work in Communications and PR for multinational corporations has given me an edge for branding and marketing, and getting projects out the door successfully!
But working in the corporate world never really did it for me. That’s why I decided, after years of working for “the man,” to move to Paris and study the business of art at Christies' Education. During my time in the City of Lights, I gained hands-on experience working in a contemporary art gallery in the beautiful Marais neighbourhood.
Once I’d had enough of the croissants and macaroons (that did not actually happen), I came back to Montréal where I extended my network to the Canadian art market through work in galleries, international art fairs, and working one-on-one with artists.
It's my unique versatility and network that ultimately led me to create The Artist Entrepreneur.
I'm known for giving my clients the reality check they need to get the results they want.
In case you were wondering, I’m not an artist myself (unless you count the colouring I do with my children as art). I leave that part to you. I’m more of the pragmatic type, but I know how to be creative when it comes to getting new business.
I have the utmost respect for creatives and what you do. I believe we work well together because we have so much to learn from each other.
Artists are an essential component of any healthy society.
It is our social responsibility to support them and an important component of the legacy we will be leaving future generations.
Creating a successful art career can be fun, creative and exciting.
With the right plan and strategy, success is inevitable.
MY LATEST INTERVIEWS AND FEATURES
- Creative Empire Podcast: How to Brand in The Art Market With Catherine Orer
- ArtLicensingShow.com: Want Extra Publicity For Your Licensing Deal? Here’s Your Three Step How To!
- Colored Pencil Mag: Ready to go Pro 6? Steps to Get You Started
- Advance Your Art Podcast: Why Artist’s Shouldn’t Hide From Money
- ART PRO Podcast: Catherine Orer of The Artist Entrepreneur Network
- Artist in Business Podcast: Practical Tips To Expand Your Brand For Your Business With Your Art
- The Huffington Post: I'm a regular contributor to The Huffington Post US
- Cracking Creativity Podcast: The Multiple Paths to Success, the Importance of Gratitude, and Becoming Part of a Community
- YFS Magazine: 3 Of The Best Things I Ever Did To Grow My Startup
- The Abundant Artist: Becoming an Artist Leader in Your Community
- ART PRO GO SHOW Podcast: Marketing Your Art With Catherine Orer
- The Artian: 5 Habits Leaders And Entrepreneurs Can Learn From Artists
- ArtPromotivate: The Difference Between Giving Away and Giving Back and Why I Recommend The Latter
- EmptyEasel: 4 Reasons Why You Should Increase Your Artwork Prices Soon
- Roooar: 4 Reasons Why #LadyBosses Thrive at Doing Their Own PR
WHAT ELSE SHOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT ME?
I’m a firm believer that quality ALWAYS trumps quantity.
My last name sounds like the word “planner” in French, so it's not surprising that I’ve always been super organized.
I sit on the board of directors for the Sylvie and Simon Blais Foundation, which promotes the work of emerging contemporary artists.
I’ll do pretty much anything in exchange for the perfect molten chocolate cake.
MY OFFICIAL BIO
Catherine Orer is an award-winning Business & PR Strategist and Founder of The Artist Entrepreneur, where she counsels professional visual artists and creative entrepreneurs wanting to build a sustainable business and career.
After working as a PR professional for multinational corporations, Catherine started her career in the arts while studying the business of art at Christie's Education and working in contemporary art galleries in Paris. She later worked on the North American art market in critically acclaimed galleries, international art fairs as well as with professional artists one-on-one, which gave her the versatility and network to create The Artist Entrepreneur.
Her clients say that she “totally gets it” and “makes things happen.” One artist even called her “the best investment in her career.”
Catherine holds a degree in Communications and Public Relations from the University of Québec in Montréal and completed her education on the business of art at the prestigious auction house, Christie’s, in Paris. She currently sits on the Board of Directors of the Sylvie and Simon Blais Foundation, devoted to promoting the work of contemporary artists, and lives in the beautiful small town of Bromont, Canada with her husband and two young children.